Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Interview Questions

From: "BARRETT,WILL" <BARRETW () airproducts com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:04:14 +0800

To avoid misunderstanding, let me clarify slightly as to what I was
trying to say.

I was replying to the post that said that one should go to Test King to
compile questions.  Why on earth would you want to do this?  You KNOW
they can pass test questions.  What you want is to know if they can pass
the real world.

Having been on both sides of this situation I understand the need to
qualify the person you are hiring.  What I disagree with is using
questions from practice exams to do it.  As an interviewer it has
absolutely no use to me, since if they have already passed the exam the
question comes from and will in all likelihood be able to answer the
question from rote memory, if nothing else, without understanding the
reasoning as to WHY the answer is correct.

Obviously you have this same problem.

As an interviewee, asking me these test questions says one thing loud
and clear and that is, "As an organization we have no idea what we are
looking for so we are going to hire the cheapest person we can get that
can pass the same exam twice."

In my opinion, using real-world scenarios to create questions to test a
individuals true knowledge will get you farther than asking a series of
test questions.  This will allow you to easily tell the difference
between the guy who knows his stuff, certified or not, and the "paper"
applicant.

-WTB