Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Writing a comprehensive Network Policy

From: "Greg Merideth" <gmerideth () uclnj com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:43:53 -0400

We used the SANS templates, merging together the separate items into one
large policy.  The lawyers added clearer statements where anything was
considered ambiguous and then finally reviewed by the IT/legal group
before distributing.

Items were added to make the end users have a greater level of
responsibility in their day to day computer operations.  Users could be
made to pay the company back for time in certain circumstance where
spyware or viruses infected their machines.  Out of 40 instances of
spyware infection, two were found to be user-faults (by clicking yes to
install those damm smiley faces for Outlook) and the users were fined by
the company.