Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: How to stop Admins from sniffing ?

From: "Corbett, Tim D. (TD)" <TDCorbett () taylorcorp com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:01:06 -0500

 Or, here's a novel idea.  Don't do anything you shouldn't be doing from
your work computer.  I doubt your admins would appreciate you messing
with your machine and/or network connection and you're just going to
draw more attention to yourself anyway.

If you don't trust your network administrators, you can either deal with
it, or look for a new job in my humble opinion.

I've been on both sides of the fence, and speaking from the
administrators side of the fence, users that try to hide stuff from me
instantly go under the microscope...its my job to be suspicious and
aware of things that are going on.  And I'll tell you, if someone just
says "hey man, I have a couple files I need to grab from home quick" vs.
someone trying to establish a vpn tunnel to home (which they can't since
I block IPSEC and PPTP at the firewall) without telling me what's going
on, the person that's upfront about stuff is going to get treated much
better.

Again, just my 2 cents.