Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Re[4]: DDOS mitigation

From: "Smith, Brad" <brad.smith () saskeds com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:48:36 -0600

You don't obviously. This is true for all Internet traffic. However, what I was asking was are you ok with having
someone else search through everything that you have all the time to make sure it's valid. You are giving them
permission to redirect your traffic elsewhere. What controls do you have to NOT refuse traffic or to white list
clients. You know that these people will be stopping, reviewing and forwarding every packet that is destined for you? I
am not saying that it is a bad choice, just that a company needs to be aware of all the implications of such a choice.
What happens when that company get's DDOS'd? Not only is their traffic affected, yours is now too. You are correct is
indicating that having the indicated company manage your traffic will reduce the likelihood that you will be affected.
I just wanted to raise questions so that an informed choice will be made when or if someone chooses to utilize this.