Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: lock down personal Win XP workstation

From: Mike Peppard <mpeppard () impole com>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 17:33:25 -0400

How secure depends on what programs and versions you are currently using as well as what ports and applications you have running. It changes almost daily.

I suggest first run a port scan on the laptop to see if anything is listening on your computer.

Second, OK maybe first... I suggest you should seriously consider a virus program. It's small change compared to having to waste a few days reinstalling XP and searching for whatever program you forgot to backup.

Third, Windows is inherently unsecured with or without the "firewall" on. I suggest using a VPN to connect to a business class hardware firewall with real protection. That means you VPN to the business network with everything but the tunnel shut off and use it's protection to browse the web, or do what ever you need to do.

Fourth, why do you ask? I don't know, but you might want to look into the new encryption programs like TrueCrypt, which make it very difficult for people to read your data without a key. You can decrypt a drive when not attached to a network and know it doesn't matter if they access your drive when you're attached to the network because sensitive data is encrypted and the password is on a usb drive in your pocket.

Deposit 2c to the charity of your choice
-Mike
Hi colleague,

Sometimes I am forced to use Windows XP. I only run a Usenet, web,
IRC, mail, ssh client and music player. I regularly check for security
fixes.

To lock down my workstation I enable "Windows Firewall" to block all
traffic expect the applications mentioned above. I enabled "Automatic
Updates". Additionally I use "Security Configuration and Analysis" MMC
console and apply the predefined security template called hisecws.inf.
I don't use a virus scanner because I am not a license owner.

How secure is this setup? Are there ways an attacker can break my
system? Where are vulnerabilities? How would you break my system?

Nico

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The NSA has designated Norwich University a center of Academic
Excellence in Information Security. Our program offers unparalleled
Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched
consulting experience. Using interactive e-Learning technology, you
can earn this esteemed degree, without disrupting your career or home
life.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus