Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Security issue? Free Public WiFi Ad Hoc network broadcast

From: "Diarmaid McManus" <diarmaidmcmanus () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 00:47:04 +0100

Hi Ken,

What it looks like to me is someone is either

[*] being nice and giving your users free wireless somehow

or

[*] someone trying to get laptops to automatically choose this access point to
     connect through and hopefully check emails, or log onto
corporate members only web,
   etc. through which they can sniff passwords.

I'd say you should look more towards a physical intrusion rather than
a network based intrusion. That said, you should look into both, as to
serve the wireless the attacker would have to be able to connect to
your(or someone else's) wired network, or bridge a wireless network.

Seeing as the MACs are spoofed, next time you come accross this laptop
broadcasting, lock down access to the building(if you can) insofar as
requiring everyone with a laptop to be stopped on their way out and
have it checked for either the MAC or some other software that may be
incriminating (i.e dsniff, etheral or what have you) for the next few
days. While it can still be slipped out, it would cause a headache for
the attacker. That said, it may cause too much hassle and cost a lot
of manpower.

Just my 0.02c for now
~Diarmaid