Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Security issue? Free Public WiFi Ad Hoc network broadcast

From: "David Gillett" <gillettdavid () fhda edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:45:08 -0700

  Note that *stumbler will, by default, show all of the SSIDs in
the traffic.  There's an option to only see the ones that are
being advertised.

  What you're seeing is (or was, when *I* saw it here) clients
sending out requests looking for that SSID.  Unless somebody offers
to honour those requests, they're harmless.

David Gillett