Security Basics mailing list archives

Fwd: How to Protect against Rootkits?

From: "Tomas Korcak" <korczis () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2006 16:48:01 +0200

Hi there,

In regards to Anti-virus, stick with the Best-of-Breed options. I tend to
steer clear of McAfee or Symantec as they tend to be large
resource-hogging apps. I've been happy with AVG Anti-Virus personally but
there are others out there of the same quality.
I think than antivirus maybe be one step in defence agains the
rootkits but unfortunately i dont think than AVG is good antivirus.  I
recommend NOD32. For more information about how succesful different
antiviruses are see virus bulletin.

I think the way of protecting agains rootkits is the same as way
defending again "regular" hackers attack. To use rigid setted
firewall, be logged as non-privileg user with as minimal rights as possible (use
runas.exe /user:administrator progname.exe), dont open unknown or
unwanted attachments, use actual version of running programs... etc

Hope this help,
korCZis

--
<warning>
This e-mail is intended for the named recipient(s). It may contain

<notice>
Your Skills In Reading Have Improved +1
</notice>

<idea>
Some days you're the dog; some days you're the hydrant.
</idea>

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management
education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience.
Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree
customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning,
Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.

http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus