Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How to Protect against Rootkits?

From: Kelly Martin <kel () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 12:49:32 -0400

Yousef Syed wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a question to which I'm having trouble finding a suitable answer.
>
> What precautions etc can a home user (or anyone else) take to protect
> against Rootkits
> http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/archive-032006.html#00000841?
> Is it a simple case of don't open any dodgy attachements, or is there
> anymore to it?
> Is there any decent virus detect/cleaners out there?

We published an article about this a few months ago. It was written by James Butler and Sherri Sparks, who both presented on rootkits at Black Hat Vegas last summer. Both are pretty well known at rootkits.org. It's part of a three-part series, and at the time of publication in January I believe it was the definitive list:

Windows rootkits of 2005, part three
By James Butler and Sherri Sparks
2006-01-05

"The third and final article in this series explores five different rootkit detection techniques used to discover Windows rootkit deployments. Additionally, nine different tools designed for administrators are discussed."

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1854

EARN A MASTER OF SCIENCE IN INFORMATION ASSURANCE - ONLINE
The Norwich University program offers unparalleled Infosec management education and the case study affords you unmatched consulting experience. Tailor your education to your own professional goals with degree customizations including Emergency Management, Business Continuity Planning, Computer Emergency Response Teams, and Digital Investigations.
http://www.msia.norwich.edu/secfocus