Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Scanning hosts behind a NAT

From: "insecure" <insecure () yandex ru>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 15:42:30 +0400 (MSD)

Hi list ;),
I'm a student and I'm trying to learn how nmap does its job.
Today, for example, I tried to scan my home network ( ;) )... In fact,
I've 2 computers behind a router (which does wireless AP, router &
firewall: linksys wrt54g). Then, I tried to scan from "outside" the
network (aka: from a friend on the internet).
On the router (LAN ip: 192.168.1.1) , I've the port 6356 (Gnutella)
which is forwarded to 192.168.1.2 (my first pc).

When I tried to scan from outside, I obviously obtain:

Starting Nmap 4.01 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap/ ) at 2006-04-22 18:26 CEST
Warning:  OS detection will be MUCH less reliable because we did not
find at least 1 open and 1 closed TCP port
Interesting ports on 80.13.xx.yy:
(The 1671 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: filtered)
PORT     STATE  SERVICE  VERSION
6346/tcp closed gnutella
Too many fingerprints match this host to give specific OS details

In fact, it was what I was expecting for. My question is how to scan
the hosts behind the router (NAT) ? Is it possible ?

Thanks

N.

AFAIK no, because of the NAT nature. It was designed to hide real network. In fact there are some methods to count
hosts behind NAT (search history of the list and latest numbers of phrack), but that is all.

--
Roman Shirokov
Systems Administrator

http://securitybox.org.ru