Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Finding Wireless AP's on your network

From: "Hayes, Ian" <Ian.Hayes () wynnlasvegas com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 16:10:45 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: Warren, John [mailto:John.B.Warren () txgt com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 12:09 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Finding Wireless AP's on your network

What would be the best way to locate wireless devices on a remote
network? Some of these sites are hundreds of miles away from me, so
it's
not feasible to detect them via normal methods (i.e., airsnort,
kismet,
etc). Is there a way that I can easily tell if one is plugged into one
of the switches at the remote location?

I'll make a couple of assumptions here, so this may not reflect reality
in your situation:

Assuming you have one PC manufacturer, you can search your MAC tables
for either martian MACs, or target specifically on OUIs assigned to the
big AP manufacturers such as Linksys, Netgear and D-Link.

If your network is set up 1 client per port, you can look and see if you
have multiple MACs coming in off of a single port that isn't your trunk.

--
Ian Hayes | Senior Systems Engineer
Wynn Las Vegas