Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Finding Wireless AP's on your network

From: hein () blubber com
Date: 20 Apr 2006 17:41:27 -0000

Tried Arpwatch and Port Security on switches? If you really want to prevent any APs being plugged into any network
above will certainly help, but of course depends highly on the infrastructure in place (managed or unmanaged switches,
hubs in use etc.). NMAP scanning could also identify an AP, but its also easily circumvented and one can do naughty
things to fool nmap and making it believe its a Windows Workstation or so, but also here it depends on the Hardware
used. And to detect any other Wireless device is a bit tricky. You can't rely on the fact that you see the affected
office only and you might pick up signals from the outside and start chasing ghosts. To prevent this you would need to
shield the entire office against any radiation from the outside, which is a bit costly to be honest.

I know that we have only two APs in use in our office, but i pick about 8 APs from the outside up (7 of them fully open
and unprotected, 2 of them in positively identified offices and allowing unrestricted access to internal and external
resources). I also can pick loads of PCs and Workstations up in this area here. So as i said it is almost impossible to
identify where a Wireless client is coming from, especially from remote locations as in your scenario.

I know port security is a pain in the back, especially if you have an ever changing environment, but it seems to be the
only feasable solution. And of course pointing to security policies and threatening with disciplinary action against
anybody who plugs anything unauthorized into a network can help as well.

Hope this helps

Tom