Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: application for an employment

From: "Craig Wright" <cwright () bdosyd com au>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 08:18:48 +1000

 Hi,
I don't know why you are taking a private conversation back on-list, but so be it.
As I am having the same conversation with multiple people on and off the list it is simpler to have it on the list.
In particular; Article 6: Misuse of devices/possession and misuse of
systems and tools that are suitable for carrying out an action as in
Article 2-5.

Ansgar Wrote: "You obviously fail to understand that for these articles to apply I have
to actually do something illegitimate. However, contrary to your belief
using a portscanner to find out what services a host provides, or even
using an open relay to send out mail (as long as it's not spam, but this
is covered by other laws), is NOT illegal."
Actually, you fail to comprehend that these are being setup as strict liability offenses. This is similar to how a
parking ticket is strict liability as a simplistic way of explaining the concept. Just as you do not need to have
intent to get a parking ticket - you do not need intent for the A 2.5 issues.

I will send a new thread "What is an illegal act" to cover this - so please read the following thread as well.

Ansgar wrote: "No. This is exactly the point where you are wrong. I do have the right
to access a host without getting explicit permission beforehand, so
these laws simply don't apply."
EM paragraphs 47-48, 58, 62, 68 and 77 also make clear that the use of such tools for the purpose of security testing
authorized by the system owner is not a crime. You are not the system owner or as a member of the public authorised.

Ansgar wrote:"However, what
service a host on the Internet is running, does in no way qualify as
privacy-related data."
Actually it can and generally does - just as a system has some public facing pages does not make it all public
information.

Article 6 is:
Article 6 - Misuse of devices
1 Each Party shall adopt such legislative and other measures as may be necessary to establish as criminal offences
under its domestic law, when committed intentionally and without right:

a the production, sale, procurement for use, import, distribution or otherwise making available of:

i a device, including a computer program, designed or adapted primarily for the purpose of committing any of the
offences established in accordance with Articles 2 through 5;

ii a computer password, access code, or similar data by which the whole or any part of a computer system is capable of
being accessed,

with intent that it be used for the purpose of committing any of the offences established in Articles 2 through 5; and

b the possession of an item referred to in paragraphs a.i or ii above, with intent that it be used for the purpose of
committing any of the offences established in Articles 2 through 5. A Party may require by law that a number of such
items be possessed before criminal liability attaches.

2 This article shall not be interpreted as imposing criminal liability where the production, sale, procurement for use,
import, distribution or otherwise making available or possession referred to in paragraph 1 of this article is not for
the purpose of committing an offence established in accordance with Articles 2 through 5 of this Convention, such as
for the authorised testing or protection of a computer system.

3 Each Party may reserve the right not to apply paragraph 1 of this article, provided that the reservation does not
concern the sale, distribution or otherwise making available of the items referred to in paragraph 1 a.ii of this
article.

Article 5 - transmitting data without right that causes harm. If the port scanner intentionally or not causes a system
to reboot for whatever reason, then there is an offence. What you feel, like want - irrelevant.

Regards,
Craig