Security Basics mailing list archives

Symantec - Live Update Error message

From: Nic James <nic.james () btconnect com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:08:40 +0100

List,

Hoping this subject is Ok to post here:

I have a non IT-savvy acquaintance who has asked me to try and sort
this issue. He is running a fairly new version of the Symantec AV
product for XP Home and the Live Update feature gives him the following
error message when it runs:

Error: "LU1875 This update failed during its preprocessing welcome text
phase"

The Symantec web site does mention this error and points to possible
infection by the Trojan.Abwiz.F Trojan horse, they also supply a
removal tool. I have followed their instructions for running the tool,
including running it in Safe mode, and the tool said that the Trojan
was not present.
The Symantec description of this Trojan mentions rootkit abilities - so
what I would like to ask the list is :

1. Would it be possible, if the rootkit (presumably a system level
one?) has deployed, for it to fool the removal tool ?
2. Has anyone come across other reasons for why Live Update would give
this error message for the update LU1875 ?

There are other posts on places like ZDNet and some of the 'consumer'
sites that mention this error, but so far I have been unable to find a
satisfactory answer (I could of course be looking in the wrong place).
I have not approached Symantec directly as yet, I guess because
(naively?) I figured if there were other problems with this update it
would be on their site and so far i haven't seen any.

Many thanks for your time List.

Nic.