Security Basics mailing list archives

Putting Encyption Functions in the HDDs

From: "Saqib Ali" <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 07:52:50 -0700

Hello All,

A Japanese article that discuss merits of making encryption part of HDDs:
http://www.eetimes.jp/contents/200604/7331_1_20060417114327.cfm

English Summary:
In software encryption, the security-key and password is controlled
above the OS. Therefore the security is not perfect. Also with
software based solutions, full encryption is not possible, because the
encryption process creates temporary files. With hardware based
solutions this is not a problem since the security-key and password in
a separate part of the HDD, and no need for temporary files. Plus
hardware encryption is a lot faster then software enryption.

The article also describe how the Full Encryption Discs  <
http://www.seagate.com/products/notebook/ >from Seagate Technology
work. Essentially they use RSA algorithm with 192-bit key.

--
Saqib Ali, CISSP, ISSAP
Support http://www.capital-punishment.net