Security Basics mailing list archives

starting point

From: nemanja.janic () gmail com
Date: 14 Apr 2006 07:30:26 -0000

Hi list,
i've been lurking around for some time now, trying to keep up with the posts, as i'm new to the whole field of security.
I would apriciate some pointers from you guys. I administer a small network of some 100 computers, and would like to
start monitoring our web traffic with ethereal...
The problem is that i do not know what to look for, and i'm not sure how to interpret what i see. Where do i start,
what papers or books do i read, in order to better understand what Ethereal tells me when i look at the results of
monitoring.
I played with filters, and have grown comfortable with using them, as well as most of the options Ethereal gives me. I
think i'm ready for the next step :)
Any pointers to interesting filter strings, examples of normal and strange traffic would really be a great help.
I hope i haven't posted this on the wrong list :)