Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: RE: Port scanning/illegalities

From: "Andrew Blair" <Andrew.Blair () genmills com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 17:18:58 -0500

This analogy is used often and is not really accurate.

First - in order to rattle someone's door, you'd have to walk across
their yard, which is trespassing, so you have broken the law before you
even get to the door.

Second - I think private and public/business resources are in different
categories. "Testing" someone's doors cannot be compared to walking up
to an open business and trying to open the door.

You can take this a lot farther (are internet sites considered "always
open"?, etc..), but you start getting into a lot of things that just
don't equate. That is why this analogy holds no sway with me and I think
it is a poor way to try and argue on either side of this discussion.

AB