Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Re: wargame issue

From: justinvinn () gmail com
Date: 16 Sep 2005 18:09:50 -0000

Adam,

I to have played hackerslab, and while I got bored before getting to this level, I have helped a friend of mine
complete it, and maybe I can be of some help to you.

If I recall correctly, this is just a simple stack based overflow. What you do is inject some specially crafted data
into the buffer. This data should contain a NOP sled (usually \x90, or any other character (eg: A [\x41]) repeated over
and over again.

The second part of this data is a piece of shellcode. for hackerslab, I seem to recall that you will want x86 Linux
shellcode.

The next bit is just the return address that you want to overflow, repeated a bunch of times. Remember, this you must
revers this address before you inject it, due to Little Endian byte ordering (thus 0xbfffab becomes \xab\xff\xbf).

Another thing to keep in mind, is that the NOP sled + shellcode + return address block(s) must be divisible by 4.

GL, and hoped that helped some ;-)

peace,
--n3w7yp3