Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wake On LAN from the Internet

From: Austin Murkland <amurkland () merydion com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:32:09 -0700

Considering the Wakeup frame contains only 12 F's, and then your mac addresses repeated 16x, i doubt there's room for it... I'm not sure how much skill you have, but if you could reprogram the chipset to accept a different frame as the "magic packet" (i.e. FFFFFFFFFFFFMACx16), that could be a kind of password, so that only the packet that you know how to create can wakeup your machine. I *think* it travels over port 9 so you'd have to open that up on your router. if changing the magic sequence isn't feasible, you could enable remote access to your router (via https or ssh), i don't recommend this method by the way, and just turn on/off the forwarding for port 9 and use the regular magic packet when you want to wake up your computer. your router should have username/password authentication and support either https or ssh which would give you the login type authentication you were looking for as well as control the exposure of rogue WoL packets to your system (i've never seen any myself)...

HTH
-Austin Murkland

Emmanuel Goldstein wrote:
Hi guys, How's it going?

  As I have set ssh access to my computer, now I'd like to be able to
wake it up remotely in case its switched off.  Do you know if it is
possible to "Wake On LAN" my computer from the Internet.  I have 24/7
DSL Connection and a D-Link 504T router.  Can I set a password so Im
the only one that is able to switch it on? How can i do all this?

  Thanks a lot.

--
Emmanuel Goldstein.
Room 101, Ministry of Truth.