Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wake On LAN from the Internet

From: Mark Owen <mr.markowen () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:17:38 -0400

On 10/26/05, Emmanuel Goldstein <goldstein101 () gmail com> wrote:
Hi guys, How's it going?

  As I have set ssh access to my computer, now I'd like to be able to
wake it up remotely in case its switched off.  Do you know if it is
possible to "Wake On LAN" my computer from the Internet.  I have 24/7
DSL Connection and a D-Link 504T router.  Can I set a password so Im
the only one that is able to switch it on? How can i do all this?

  Thanks a lot.

 Only way I can think of is to setup a VPN in which you log in to that
will then connect you to the destined computer.
 Easier move would be to ditch the password and rely strictly on the
mac address.
 WOL depends on upd port 9 and the mac address to be available to wake.
 The mac address is a unique 6 hex byte code (12 alphanumeric
characters a-f, 0-9).  Good enough password for me if you block
unnecessary ports.
 I'd open udp port 9 on your dlink and forward it to your computer.
IP address would be the public IP assigned to your dlink.

--
Mark Owen