Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Hard drives v. CF/Smart media/etc.

From: "Herman Frederick Ebeling, Jr." <hfebelingjr () lycos com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:25:41 -0400

- ----Original Message----
From: FocusHacks [mailto:focushacks () gmail com]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 October, 2005 12:06
To: hfebelingjr () lycos com
Subject: Re: Hard drives v. CF/Smart media/etc.

: NTFS is also identical to FAT as far as file recovery goes.  The space
: is marked as available, the filename is marked as deleted in the NTFS
: file table, and that's that.
:
: I use Eraser 5.2 to completely eradicate files one at a time from a hard
drive.
:
: After one over-write, file recovery tools are pretty much useless, so
: tools like PGP Wipe, Eraser 5.2 et al, would more than do the trick to
: keep the average Joe from getting the file(s) that you want to be
: gone.
:
: Expensive data recovery gurus can use electron scanning microscopes to
: analyze the surface of the disc and actually see previous data much in
: the same way you can tell the past of a tree by looking at the rings
: in the trunk.  Some experts say that this technology has been
: perfected so well that it's sometimes possible to access every bit of
: information back to when the drive was freshly assembled.  I don't
: know how much truth there is to that claim, though.  I do know that 10
: overwrites isn't enough for the ultra-paranoid.  This also goes for
: re-writeable optical or magneto-optical media.  Traces of previous
: contents can still exist after multiple erase and over-writes.

Which is why I was surprised to see on CSI: NY that they NYC police had such a
piece of equipment.

:
: Physical destruction is usually the best method.  There are companies
: that sell metal shredding machines that will reduce hard drives,
: fist-fulls of DVD's and CD's, floppy diskettes and anything else you
: can think of, into tiny shards of scrap.  There's no data recovery
: expert in the world that's prepared for that.

Cool, and for those who can afford those shredding machines there's the ole
Black & Decker drill, 10 oz ball peen
hammer, and fire. . .

:
: Flash media is different than magnetic media.  There are no residual
: magnetic particles.  Each bit is held in a binary state and that's
: that.  One overwrite, all gone, period.  Simply erasing the file will
: result in a recoverable situation, but a program that actually
: overwrites the filespace or the whole drive will easily destroy
: everything on the media.

That's what I thought.

:
: If you have a very large capacity flash device, say a 4 gigabyte
: compact flash card that you needed completely wiped in a hurry, you
: could toss it into a microwave for 10-30 seconds.  Sure, you would
: never be able to use it again; however, at the same time all the data
: would be completely decimated without any question.  This is
: borderline between physical and logical destruction.

What if anything happens to the microwave?

: