Security Basics mailing list archives

hipaa guidance

From: absolutezero273c () myrealbox com
Date: 10 Oct 2005 15:46:35 -0000

G'Day, all.

I do consulting and had a client ask me to review their HIPAA documentation.  I have been reviewing hipaa rules and it
appears to me that there are guidelines to follow but find it very difficult to apply this to my client.

Background:
1. It is a small non-profit organization that has less than 50 employees.
2. I am not an expert on hipaa. Hence my post.

Question(s):
1. Are there recommendations for certain types and sizes of organizations available for guidance?
2. How does one find a reputable hipaa consultant in their locale?  Are there certifications or any other indicators to
let me know whether or not this person/company is knowledgeable?

As you can tell, I am on the fence as to whether or not I should even attempt this, or if I should simply hand it off
to someone else who knows what they are doing, for the good of my client.

Has anyone else been in this position and what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Dana