Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: SF new article announcement: Can writing software be a crime?

From: cc <cc () belfordhk com>
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2005 11:27:42 +0800

Kelly Martin sighed and wrote::

The following column was published on SecurityFocus today:

Can writing software be a crime?
by Mark Rasch
2005-10-03

A recent case shows the government attempting to prosecute the developer
of a key logger software that can be used for both lawful and unlawful
purposes.

Pardon my ignorance, but I find it a little 'strange' that the
government should be cracking down on this type of thing.  There
are certainly a lot of products under the sun that fit the
description of "<product x> can be used for both lawful and
unlawful purposes".   Wouldn't this open a larger can of
worms, so to speak?

Or am I just misreading this whole thing?