Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: remote desktop question

From: Brian Loe <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:02:23 -0600

If connecting two sites then you would use the router/firewall at each
site to create the tunnel. Your performance hit will vary depending on
your connection speed and what you're doing via terminal services -
but for the most part my experience has been very good.

SSL VPN is a very easy way to go but I've recently began question it's
security. If someone can perform a MITM attack on an SSL session, why
not an SSL VPN session? I don't know...just wondering.

I see this advice often on this list.  I work with very small businesses
(200 users and below) where number of servers / firewalls / routers, and
budgets for same, are very small.  So I have some (very basic I'm
afraid) questions on this subject:
-- Is there not a slowness / performance hit when forcing users to
access a Terminal Server via a VPN connection?
-- This will require VPN client software on all client machines right?
Or is the in-built MS VPN connection stuff considered acceptably secure
in this scenario?
-- Or should we look at SSL VPN for this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback ...