Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: remote desktop question

From: "Kirk Brady" <Kirk.Brady () TeachersHealth com au>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:02:43 +1100

Hi,

i work with around 120 users, and i would like to share my experiences regarding this with you:

I see this advice often on this list.  I work with very small businesses
(200 users and below) where number of servers / firewalls / routers, and
budgets for same, are very small.  So I have some (very basic I'm
afraid) questions on this subject:
-- Is there not a slowness / performance hit when forcing users to
access a Terminal Server via a VPN connection?
not at all noticeable i believe. if you have broadband (256k+) the rdp session is quite responsive. the faster the
connection on both sides the better - the vpn overhead doesnt seem to affect the speed that much at all. this is using
both pptp and ipsec (l2tp) vpn's

-- This will require VPN client software on all client machines right?
Or is the in-built MS VPN connection stuff considered acceptably secure
in this scenario?
i just use the build in ms vpn connectoid, with an ms rras/ias server on the other end. once connected users surf to an
internal website with the terminal server weblet hosted

-- Or should we look at SSL VPN for this?
i played around with ssl vpn's to try and make it simpler for the end user - in all honestly i did not think it was
THAT much better. speedwise it was comparable (in some cases it was slower), and still required the use of a username
and password - the ms build in vpn connectoids ask for little more than that and with a crib sheet, most users seem ok

hth
kirk