Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: network architecture related to db security - needed

From: Saqib Ali <docbook.xml () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:34:11 -0800

solution 1)
If your DB is relatively small, consider hosting on the same box as
the application. and allow only localhost connections to the DB. make
sure that loopback interface is being used to talk to the DB. the
traffic should not be going over any eth interfaces.

solution 2)
if you want to host your DB on seperate box, make sure traffic is
tunneled through SSH or SSL.

solution 3)
Or you can want to host both the application and the DB inside a
firewall. and use Reverse SSL proxy to allow usert to use the
application. This is the safest option.

solution 4)
A graphical firewall/proxy. Again both the application server and DB
server are hosted inside a firewall, and the user connects using a
grafical firewall/proxy e.g. Citrix.