Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: bruteforce attacks to GUI applications

From: mike preston <mike () technomonk com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:43:20 +0000

Page 280 of the Xlib Programming manual (8.4) states that the 'XSendEvent() function may be used to send a ClientMessage event or any other event type to a particular window, to the current keyboard focus window, or to the window in which the pointer is located' and 'It may also be useful for designing test procedures for you input handling or for making demonstration programs that simulate user input.' Although it does send set a flag on the event few apps I've seen check for this.

So at least under X its possible to do this if not with expect.

Mike

m_r_welch () tiscali co uk wrote:

It doesn't look like that would be possible. See here:

http://expect.nist.gov/FAQ.html#q23