Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: bruteforce attacks to GUI applications

From: Disco Jonny <discojonny () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:38:19 +0000

Hi,

sorry if this email is m$ centric, I have never needed to do and GUI
testing on anything other than windows.

I go slightly off point in this email, (the answer to the original im
pretty sure has already been posted, and is brutus :)

Is it possible to automate interaction with a GUI app? If so this is an important
option I am not familiar with, please supply me with references and links
so I can read up on the principles & practice. I look forward to having some
new bedtime reading :)

Thankfully yes! makes my life a lot easier.

there is a bunch of tools commercial and free for recording 'windows'
macros. if you are not familiar with macro recorders, these are
programs that will record the user interaction (key stokes, mouse
clicks, etc) and save them, allow modification of them and will then
play them back with various options and in an automated manner.

They can be configured to respond to lots of different responses, and
can get quite 'smart'

a few examples (i haven't used any of these to any extent, but they
look pretty powerful)

http://www.mjtnet.com/
http://www.mercury.com/us/products/quality-center/functional-testing/winrunner/
http://www.tucows.com/search?search_terms="macro%20recorder"&search_scope=win&search_scope_d=0

An alternative method is to write the scripts directly. again there
are various ways to do this, but windows has its own built in
scripting language for this very (automation of gui's) purpose have a
look at

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/wsoriWindowsScriptHost.asp

I agree it is not a popular attack method, but it is not really
Hollywood fiction.

I think that hollywood likes to use this sort of thing in the movies
because it is highly visual and a very high percentage of movie goers
would recognise what is going on, much more so than watching someone
try to walk a stack or run an exploit. (although im not a film expert
- i think you get my point)

HTH

s.