Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Trojan.Lodear.B/Trojan.Lodav.A

From: mjcarter () ihug co nz
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 11:51:03 +1300

Hi Joe,

Firstly are you booting to safe mode without networking?

Due to the nature of Lodav I think it's best to format the
drive and start again but if that's not an option an offline
scan or manual cleanup from a live CD might work.

The following link is for detecting rootkits but the same
technique can be used to find other stealth malware.

http://research.microsoft.com/rootkit/

Regards
Mike

www.infosec.co.nz

Hi all,

I have a workstation that was compromised by the Trojan
mentioned in the subject, after the end user opened an
infected .ZIP file. I followed the instructions Symantec
recommended.  I used their removal tool because I was not
able to access the registry.  I also installed the
UnHookExec.inf in an attempt to reset the
shell/open/command reg keys, per the article.  I was still
not able to access the registry.  I ran the removal tool
several times in normal and in safe mode and each time it
would detect and terminate the Trojan process running in
explorer.exe.  Before one removal tool run, I ran
Winternals Process Explorer, but nothing was found.  I ran
two anti-virus scans but did not find anything after the
initial detection.  Is there anything that I have not
tried that someone can suggest? I'm about ready to run a
repair on Windows, but not ready to rebuild, as I am
concerned there maybe more workstations that have been
just as compromised.

Thanks in advance.

--
Joe George