Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Risk Assessment/Management - OCTAVE

From: filkins () impulse net
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 12:38:18 -0800

I disagree.

OCTAVE is designed to involve executive management in the decision process.

As far as a shopping list, look at the SANS SBS on HIPAA Security.  And
I hate to say it but defining the parameters of your risk assessement
-- like what is critical -- is somewhat subjective and should be
grounded in common sense.

Quoting Fred Cohen <fred.cohen () all net>:

My big problems with OCTAVE are that it largely relies on non-
enumerable lists, the expertise of the person applying it, has lots
of detail and rigor and precision, but no accuracy that I can find,
and it is entirely technical in orientation and ignores most of the
vital element of business decision-making that is the core of risk
management. I should also mention that it completely ignores the ides
 of risk transfer and avoidance in favor of mitigation and
acceptance,  and as such is fairly unrealistic in terms of outcomes.
It is also  very hard to explain to executive management (the CEO)
who has to  actually make these decisions.