Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: software to control domain administrators

From: "Bundschuh, Anthony D" <ANTHONY.D.BUNDSCHUH () saic com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 15:33:05 -0700

I have to agree with you.  Let's not forget that someone has to configure
these so-called controls on the admin.  If they can configure it, they are
able to undo it also.  Besides, if you did not have someone with that total
access, what would you do when you need that level of control.  I am sure
that the vendors would be able to help you out, for a small fortune.  I have
heard of Novell being able to come in and get your network back when your
admin changed the domain admin password when he or she found out that they
were getting let go, but I heard it would cost tens of thousands of dollars.

As far as central recording of the audit logs, someone has to have access to
them, which means they can edit them.  It may not be the admin, but
conspiracies do happen.