Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: software to control domain administrators

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 12:23:20 -0400

This is one of those topics that come up when U.M.(upper management)
starts asking questions about I.T. stuff of which they know nothing or
very little about.

It's best just to quell their fears with any means possible before it
gets out of hand.  Somehow they are introduced to the fact that Domain
Admins have complete access to all data on the network, which includes
critical business files, accounting data and probably their personal
emails and pr0n.

Then they get into a mode on how they can limit Domain Admin access so
that they will not be able to view the above mentioned data.

So how can they then?

Provide solace by explaining that Application security can be
implemented to prohibit Domain Admin access.  For instance, if your
Accounting Software provides the ability for users to log in, do not
disclose usernames and passwords to the Domain Admin. (Personally, as a
D.A. I don't want to know any of that information.  I don't want anyone
being able to accuse me of tampering with any of that.)  If your
software isn't that advanced and you're using excel files, set passwords
on viewing or changing the files.

Certainly if we try hard enough, we can get access to the data via
password crackers or social engineering etc.., however the end user will
at least be pacified enough to get back to their work and stop worrying
about what the Domain Admin is looking at.

Additionally, provide them (Upper Management or End Users) with auditing
tools or reports of some sort.  They like that kind of thing.

$.02 deposited.

-jmb