Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Wireless

From: Alvin Oga <alvin.sec () Virtual Linux-Consulting com>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 19:34:22 -0700 (PDT)

hi ya jason

We are a 58 sq mile municipality looking to implement a Wireless MAN
(Metro Area Network).  This Wireless MAN, in its inception will handle
our Public Safety Mobile Units and some scattered wireless IP security
cameras.  Eventually we would like to use this Infrastructure to take
the place of some of our Point to Point T1 connections. This system will
be integrated with our WAN, so obviously security is a HUGE concern.

if security is an issue ...
        - use ssh for everything ... ( between any two points )
        - use WPA instead of wep which is broken ( not secure )
        - specify only particular ip# that are allowed to talk ot each other

- which wireless devices ??

        - antenna ?? ...................... lots of um
        - wireless pci cards ?? ........... which vendor ??
        - embedded wireless camera's ?? ... which outdoor camera ??
        - embedded wireless ap's ?? ....... linux based routers w/ compact flash

- httpd://Linux-Wireless.org
        - antenna, wireless cards, drivers, WPA, APs, ...

c ya
alvin