Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: information harvesting from within the network

From: "Beauford, Jason" <jbeauford () EightInOnePet com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 16:12:38 -0400

Within a Windows Environment, I'd recommend using the Microsoft Baseline
Security Analyzer to identify the weak links in your Windows deployment.
Nice thing about it is it give you the MS recommended resolutions.
Things like denying Anonymous Enumeration.

As far as GPO's go, in a University environment, your networked PC's are
most likely not part of the domain, but rather just College students and
therefore your GPO's will have no effect on their particular units.
However, you should deploy GPO's to lockdown those PC's within your
domain.

Again, the MS BSA tool will help you ID some issues and supply
solutions.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx

If you need GPO recommendations, you can check Microsoft's site for
Hardening Windows Clients in a Windows Server Environment, or there are
NIST docs.

Here are some links to get you going:

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/gtm/securityguidance/articles/sec
_winxp_pro_server_env.mspx