Security Basics mailing list archives

information harvesting from within the network

From: "ddjjembe 2" <ddjjembe2 () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 02:39:36 +0000

Background:
I work in a university that has university typical security practices. Currently any authenticated user can scan the parts of the network with tools like LANguard or Nessus and obtain a considerable amount of information from them. Most of the computers in our network are windows computers. We also have departments with MACs and *nix machines.

Goal:
If possible, lock down the Windows computers with group policies and/or templates to disable this potential unauthorized information harvesting users and then restrict scanning ability to the security group with LDAP permissions. Am I on the right track here?

I would like to achieve this without using a host based firewall.

Group policies have large pool of settings to pick from. Narrowing it down to a few that disable at least portions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

ddjembe