Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Alt VMWare Solution for Pen Testing

From: "Burton Strauss" <BStrauss3 () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 17:26:21 -0500

They don't support it as in they don't offer fee-based support.

There's a lot of info on what runs and how to make things work at
http://vpc.visualwin.com/.  And in MS' weblogs and knowledge base.

It sometimes takes small gyrations - some kernels have critical virtualized
devices broken (*notably Fedora Core 2).  But ultimately EVERY Linux I've
thrown at it works fine.  DSL, Knoppix, RedHat, Fedora, Slack, Debian,
Gentoo, Ubuntu, etc. etc. etc.  2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

Oh, and Solaris 10 x86, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc.

-----Burton