Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: FW: login w2k server by time

From: Kinnell <kinnell.t () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 08:13:41 -0600

 From: nospam [mailto:nospam () dranem org]
Sent: Tue 3/1/2005 1:39 PM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: login w2k server by time

Is there a way to limit when any user/groups may login to a server based
upon time?
and wait until a manager comes to each station to authorize network
access to that Server [Win2000]
[workgroup setting] no domain setup   [winXP clients] [1 win98 print server]

I have a friend who wants to limit when a server is accessed to daytime
hours only
also they want it to be limited to a manager who will provide a password
when they are allowed to use the server.

I can't verify this from the computer I am sitting at right now, but
you should be able to set this in the Admin tools --> Active Directory
Users and Comps --> User --> properties.
From here edit the user to only be allowed to logon during specific
hours, and deny during specific hours.  I know I've been able to do
this myself.

For the manager what exactly did you mean?  That the manager must
basically "OK" each logon as it occurs???

Further more they need to use said locked down server during business
hours for 15 users/PCs
for regular business to access a dental database from a shared folder
from the windows 2000 server

If this still makes sense how can I help them limit access
1) over night
2) using a master password

suggestions;
good points / bad point / gotchas / etc