Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Domain Name Dispute Resolution - Experiences?

From: "Scan America" <ghewitt () scan-america com>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 14:54:37 -0600

Mark -

My primary domain was transferred away from me a couple years ago, without
my authorization.

Essentially this happened because a different Registrar allowed bulk domain
name updates as an authorized transaction.  My domain was one of 17 domain
names that some guy in New Jersey just took.  As you know, ISP's typically
work with a specific Registrar. He was authorized for bulk DNS updates.  His
Registrar told my Registrar it was okay.

Oddly, the Registrar he was using was in Denmark, which further raised my
suspicions that this was not an innocent mistake.

I was able to work with my ISP and they, in turn, worked with their
Registrar to force the domain back to (1) my ISP and they then (2)
re-assigned it back to my ownership.

There was no way for myself or even my ISP to resolve this directly.  This
had to be escalated as an issue between the corresponding Registrars for
both ISP's involved.

In my case it took about 2-4 weeks to get my domain back.

I'll be glad to get into additional specifics if anyone has questions. I
believe I still have all the email and paperwork that it took to resolve the
matter.

Gary M Hewitt, Pres
Scan America
Brookfield, WI