Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Prividing Intranet Website Access To External Users

From: <ben.smethurst () orange net>
Date: 31 Mar 2005 03:01:05 -0000

Ideally, I really wouldnt like to be having my company intranet on the
dmz, or allowing access from the internet to a natted address of an
internal server

I would probably integrate the ldap/dc as a security server on the
firewall and have the remote users authenticate against the ldap/dc
when they hit the firewall and then pass them through to the intranet
server. You will probably somehow need to let the intranet server know
that the user has been authenticated by the dc when they connected
through the firewall, so that the user doesn't have to authenticate a
second time when they hit the web server. I agree, its slightly less
transparent than directly browsing to the webserver, but would
probably be more secure

I think the ssl vpn.. could also be an option,

If you've got checkpoint, you could buy the connectra ssl network
extender product which will do the this kind of job very well, or you
could look at the firepass ssl vpn solution.

Regards
Ben Smethurst