Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: GIAC Dilution

From: "Matthew Jenkins" <Matthew.Jenkins () tmctechnologies com>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:59:50 -0500

http://www.giac.org/practicals/termination.php

According to SANS, there are going to be a lot of changes to the GIAC
certification process.  However, it is my opinion that they should not
have removed the practical until after changes were made to the exam
process.

Unfortunately, GIAC also agrees that exam-based certifications (i.e.
without the writing) is what the marketplace wants.  Unfortunately, what
most employers do not take account for is that if their employees and/or
contractors cannot effectively communicate, the work they will perform
is in vain.  Written corrspondance in the form of e-mails, memorandeums,
reports, etc. is a key part of business.  This is especially true for
global businesses where the upper management team(s) exist in various
countries.  I do not feel that SANS should be in the business of
teaching English classes.  However, if their students cannot effectively
communicate what they have learned, how are they going to communicate
their findings to their employeer and/or clients?

Perhaps the practical was not the most effective method for testing
students' written skills.  However, I believe that it is part of SANS'
responsibility to the industry to make sure their students can
communicate what they have learned.  In my opinion, SANS should consider
making one or more parts of their exam written if they are not going to
require the practical.

Matt