Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: GIAC Dilution

From: Aman Raheja <araheja () techquotes com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:33:28 -0600

I would really like this topic to be more flooded with opinions.
It is indeed sad that this exam organizer (corp) has decided to make more money rather than give certification to people who really deserve. I was planning to take this exam as well. I am not sure, if this is going to be equivalent to a Securoty+ now, which is cheaper and probably would have the same market value - both being only exam based certs. My next step would be CISSP but that's a way to go, though I already have enough experience to take that exam. Nevertheless, some one mentioned that GIAC is going to drop pricing. Any pointers to that ?
Thanks
Aman Raheja
http://www.techquotes.com

adeel hussain wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I agree with you all in regards to the certification loosing it's
prestige and meaning.  I do think that the certification will still
have some meaning as a representation of security knowledge just not
waht it once was.

As I understand it there will no longer be a option to complete the
practical so all certs from this point on will be exam only.  The
distinction between the exam only and practical versions will be
unknown to the general masses and will even blur over time with those
that currently know the difference.

I think GIAC, and possibly SANS, will have to drop there prices a bit
to reflect the reduced value of the cert.  I for one was working on a
practical prior to signing up for the certification attempt.  That
practical will no longer be required and the work will go to waste. Perhaps I will publish it anyway in addition to applying it's message
to my organization.

Having said that I do plan on attaining the GSEC.  If they drop the
prices I may go for more certs before people catch on that the value
has depreciated.  As was stated previously "ride the wave".

The time of the seasoned proffesional is now behind us..... roll on
the paper GIAC certs

Adeel