Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Sequence of numbers in a hacker provided script

From: H Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: 10 Mar 2005 18:03:52 -0000

You really haven't given a great deal of information to go on...

It might help if you provided the site you got the script from, the script itself (all of it, unedited), as well as
information about where you found it on the site in relation to the tools that you say were also on the site.

Information gains meaning through context...and there is no context here.

H. Carvey
"Windows Forensics and Incident Recovery"
http://www.windows-ir.com
http://windowsir.blogspot.com

A hacker infiltrated our (Linux) system and left a script behind.
In the script there is a name and a numeric sequence.  What does
this numeric sequence mean?

#!/bin/bash
#
# cleaner - by (The hacker's alias) [38.24.8888]
#
# Usage: ./cleaner 'your login name or any string'

I should clarify that I didn't actually find this script on my system,
I found it on a website he was using to host his tools.  The hacker
did install some kind of IRC bomb (mirkforce) to attack a remote site,
so I thought it might somehow be related to IRC.