Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How webpage defacement possible just using web hacking?

From: Eduardo Kienetz <eduardok () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:06:38 -0300

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:45:53 +0000, Monty Ree <chulmin2 () hotmail com> wrote:
Hello, Eduardo Kienetz .

Thanks for your kind reply about allow_url_fopen.
As I know, if he(she) can use allow_url_fopen vuln. to execute some code,
he is just nobody not root.
Nobody can't change user's index.html or index.php directly because the
owner of the index.* is not nobody and the permission is not writable.
Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Well, you are right up to that point. But, if he/she is able to use
that vuln. then it is able to scan the whole system, in Readable
files, looking for database passwords or some other vulnerabilty.
I would read all log files (especially apache log files) looking for
some different pattern. Try searching for: "ls", "cat"

Regards,

--
Eduardo  Bacchi Kienetz
http://www.noticiaslinux.com.br/eduardo/