Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Restricting Incoming Email in Exchange by From Address

From: Greg Jones <grjones () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:24:41 -0400

Tim et al,

Please see my original email.  Encryption is nice, but that's not what
I'm going for here. I am wanting to filter out forged From addresses.
Lots of you have responded with a solution to filter based on From
addresses, but most of these solutions would filter legitimate email
as well.  Again, I want to reject emails that come in from the
Internet via SMTP that have mydomain.com in the From address.  But, I
want to allow emails that come from the Internet via Exchange since
the sender is effectively authenticated.

Using a sendmail/postfix server to handle SMTP traffic would work
(block any email with a From address of mydomain.com and just let
Exchange do it's thing since it won't go thru the sendmail/postfix
server).  But what I'm really look for here, is a way to do this in
Exchange itself; without another mail server.

Thanks

Greg