Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Passive FTP

From: Alexander Klimov <alserkli () inbox ru>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:01:52 +0300 (IDT)

On Tue, 31 May 2005, Roberto Alcantara wrote:

Guys, to able my FTP users in passive mode need I realy accept in my
firewall connections from 1024-65535 ports ?

If you users are clients (that is they use, say, a web browser to
download something from passive ftp) then you do not need any incoming
firewall settings--I guess, this is exactly the purpose passive ftp.

If you mean that your network consists of servers then you do need to
open incoming connections (at least ftp, i.e., tcp 21) and also those
ports (for passive mode) which are specified by your servers. Now,
there are endless list of options: configure your servers so they use
only some small port range; configure your firewall to inspect
ftp-control connections to detect which port to open for each ftp-data
connection; ...

--
Regards,
ASK