Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Passive FTP

From: Roberto Alcantara <roberto () fortalnet com br>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:31:46 -0300 (BRT)

Thank you of your and all others answers.

I will look more about proftp and vftp config to see about IP range to passive mode.

Best regards,
      Roberto Alcântara

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 Tim.BUTTON () dest gov au wrote:

It will depend on if your firewall does stateful inspection or not and
how it handles FTP in general.  FW1, Gauntlet, Sidewinder and Cyberguard
all inspect the FTP traffic and are able to recognise the outgoing data
connection from the client to the server - therefore, the only rule you
need to add is the one to allow the client to go outbound to the server
on 21. I'm unsure about devices such as Pix.

FWIW, I've found most devices actually handle passive better than they
do active....

Cheers
Tim