Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Remote Access Banners

From: matt <matt () learnsecurityonline com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:31:33 +0100

Jeff Stebelton wrote:

Can someone point me to the statues that govern the need for remote
access warning banners, such as those used on telnet or ftp servers?
Are there any cases where a banner was not used, and consequently an
attacker was not successfully prosecuted or/and got a reduced
sentence?

jeff

I personally do not know of one, I beleive as with burglary and other crimes, access is not presumed authorised just because the party didnt say that you could not go there. However it is an interested topic as connecting a system to the internet you are in essence putting it on a shared network so it is probably advisable to safe guard yourself and use one.

Regards

Matt
info () learnsecurityonline com
http://www.learnsecurityonline.com