Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help understanding NMAP results

From: Nikolai Alexandrov <voyager123bg () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 00:36:01 +0300

Theodore Wynnychenko wrote:

So, while looking around, I came across NMAP, and decided to use it to scan
myself.  Went over to a friend's house, and ran an NMAP scan against myself
(nmap -sS -v -P0 -O xx.xx.xx.xx), and it says "Discovered open port
5190/tcp".

Try chkrootkit... is it possible the machine to be compromised? Do you have any active connections from that port? What does the "netstat -na" says? you are likely to find your port... Yet, if that is used only for firewall... there shouldn't be even single port open.

Now, this really confuses me.  When I scan myself using "online" scanners
(directed specifically at 5190), I get back that packets were
dropped/"stealthed," but NMAP says its open.  I added a specific rule (in
addition to the default drop policy) to drop anything to tcp 5190, but this
made no difference.  The "online" scanners still say nothing there, NMAP
still says its open.
The -P0 does:
Do not try to ping hosts at  all  before  scanning  them.   This
allows  the  scanning  of  networks  that  don't allow ICMP echo
requests (or responses) through their  firewall.
It is only useful if your firewall doesn't return ICMP's :)

NMAPs OS identification gives me several possibilities including "Linux
2.4.x|2.5.x," so NMAP does seem to be getting some imformation from the
firewall.

Nmap gets information for OS from various flags of returned tcp packets... google "OS fingerprinting" for more info.

TCP 5190 is apparently related to AOL IM, but this is not something I have
ever used, and I can't think of any reason why the LEAF Firewall would have
it open.

Not necessarily related. It could be anything...

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

bye - ted