Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Newbie Hacker Tools

From: "Brunner, Mark" <MBrunner () tor fasken com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 14:34:10 -0500

Edmond,

It does appear that an ethical hackers' course may put you in over your head.  This is based solely on the simplest of
observations that one can make from an email thread such as this, and could be totally incorrect.  We are talking about
a $2500 US expenditure if memory serves, plus flight and accommodations if you are heading to Florida to study.

If this is a business venture, you would be better served laying out a business plan to attack this strategically.
Define your needs, your clients' expectations, the liabilities that you may be incurring, and the services in detail
that you would anticipate providing.  Now match these items up with what you are capable of and can afford to provide.
If you lack the skills or tools to perform some function, call in a contract consultant (not a "hacker") to fill the
void.  Most of these guys are willing to work with you to develop you or your staff, as long as you are up front and
negotiate it, and don't try to just leech the knowledge that they have spent countless hours over periods of several
years to acquire.

You will have to invest in your business in order to reap the rewards.

Mark Brunner
Security Manager
Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP
Barristers & Solicitors
Patent & Trade Mark Agents
Toronto, Ontario
http://www.fasken.com

This communication is solicitor/client privileged and contains confidential information intended only for the person(s)
to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, other distribution of this communication or taking any
action on its contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately
and delete this message without reading, copying or forwarding it to anyone.